Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Giving Meaning to Suffering/Bad day

"St Paul wrote to the Christians living in Corinth, "God comforts us in our sorrow so that we might comfort others . . . . in their time of tribulation." (2 Cor. 1:4). In my own personal experience, I have discovered the truth in these majestic words. I have learned that out of the painful crucible of my own suffering, I was able to find within me a well-spring of strength that I never knew I possessed. I acquired a deepened understanding of the human condition, a greater sensitivity and compassion for the sufferings of others, and a heightened ability to share with others my conviction in the sureness of ultimate victory. Indeed, I would be reluctant to avoid the trials of my past if, at the same time, it meant that I would have to surrender their many personal gifts that now have come to grace and enrich the whole of my life." -
Rev. Andrew J. Demotses

***********************************
 Yesterday was not a good day. I had begun to feel very good, eating more taking my meds having a bit more energy.....then boom out of nowhere it rears its ugly head. The pain, the pressure, the nausea, fatigue....and to add this time a fever, and achy joints. My body working overtime to attack itself, yet again. I had been feeling so good that I began feeling guilty for not returning to work, but after yesterday...and feeling that today I haven't fully recovered....it was truly the best choice. 

  But as always when suffering comes in whatever form we find it, there is always the question....why? Whether one believes in God or not, the question still comes. Other then the quote above, I remember reading once, suffering is a part of life. It comes to all. It is just how we deal with that suffering that either makes us stronger because of it, or weaker. Some of the most truly awe inspiring people I have ever met have been those who have suffered but were not broken by it in the depths of their souls. Instead they shone ever much more brightly, because their suffering purified them like glass when it comes in contact with fire. 

 Yesterday, even my little doggie...who had her own little suffering... felt it was best to just rest.


 

No comments: