Friday, November 21, 2008

Sally Mann was missed


So this past Thursday at the MFA Sally Mann gave a talk about her work. I got tickets for it wayyyy back in the summer hoping to go see her, and perhaps get the chance to talk with her. She is from Lexington Virginia which is about 20 min from my home in Virginia; and I had hoped to talk to her about how she was able to succeed in a place that is so small. (Not to mention the fact that if I were to ever move back, I might have that connection.)
But unfortunately fate stepped in. Or rather I should say, I stepped wrong, and now have a neuroma in my foot. A neuroma is basically a very angry and inflamed little pinched nerve that has me now hopping around like some sort of rabbit and making me have to lay on the couch and keep my foot elevated. I feel like a slug.

I now have to have crutches, as well as shots and maybe even surgery....let's pray not.

But what I am most sad about is missing out on the chance to meet someone that I admire, and who I might just have something in common with. Even if its just location and photography.


Oh well.



I guess I can still look at her new work "Deep South" and really dream of being home. (The picture below is an image Raphine, not far from where I used to live.)


No comments: